Society and Culture Collection
- Native Americans
- Chinese Americans
- WA State Government
- Japanese Americans
- Original artwork
- Outdoor activities
- Performing Arts
- Scandinavian Americans
- Utopian colonies
The Society and Culture Collection is an ongoing digital collection of historical images primarily from Washington State. The images cover a variety of political, cultural and social topics. These include: Japanese and Chinese Americans; the World War II Japanese internment camps of Camp Harmony (Puyallup) and Minidoka (Idaho); labor and politics; prohibition; legislative assemblies; women; socialist colonies in Washington State; leisure activities such as camping, hiking and mountaineering.
- Richard V. Correll prints and photographs of political and social issues
- Vern C. Gorst photographs of events from 1929-1932
- Betty Bard MacDonald photographs and documents relating to her writing career, life, and publicity for the film of "The Egg and I"
- Blanche Morgan illustrations and set designs for the Seattle Negro Repertory Company, a subsidiary of the WPA's Federal Theater Project
- Price Rodgers Leavenworth Collection
We will occasionally add new content to this digital collection, so the images you see will change periodically. In addition, our cataloging staff will continue to supplement the descriptive information attached to each image as new research enhances our knowledge of the material.
About the Database
The information for the Society and Culture Collection was researched and prepared by the UW Libraries Special Collections Division and Cataloging staff in 2001. Not all the photographs from the collection were included in this database. The images were scanned in grayscale using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600L and saved in .jpg format. Some manipulation of the images was done to present the clearest possible digital image. The scanned images were then linked with descriptive data using CONTENTdm software. The original collection resides in the UW Libraries Special Collections Division as the Social Issues Collection.