Bagley Hall [now Architecture Hall], ca. 1926-7.
Freehand sketch, graphite on paper.
Digital Collection item #ARC0871; URL: http://content.lib.washington.edu/u?/ac,1822
John Storm Villesvik received his B.Arch from the University of Washington in 1929. As a student, he was a member of the Tau Sigma Delta Architectural Fraternity and received several awards including the Charles Bebb Prize, 1925, and the Gladding McBean Prize. He received the Walker Traveling Scholarship in Fall of 1928 to study at the Fontainebleau School of Fine Arts in Europe.
Villesvik worked for Yakima architect John Maloney, (1930-43). As Maloney's practice became increasingly focused on projects in Seattle, Villesvik opened his own architectural practice in Yakima in 1945. Maurice Smith joined the firm in 1946, eventually becoming partner in 1962. The firm's work included residential and commercial designs, civic structures, and religious buildings. Notable projects include the Main Yakima Library, 1959; the Yakima County Courthouse addition, 1962; the Yakima Valley Museum, 1958; the Dr. Herr residence, 1947; the Harold Cahoon residence, 1950; and several elementary schools. Villesvik retired in 1972.