arch with graded wash, 1940.
Drawing exercise: ink wash on paper.
Digital Collection item #ARC0883; URL: http://content.lib.washington.edu/u?/ac,1850
Wendell Lovett entered the University of Washington program in architecture in 1940, but his college years were interrupted by wartime service. He graduated from the University of Washington with a B.Arch in 1947. While at Washington he was significantly influenced by Professor Lionel Pries. As a student, he was awarded the AIA Student Silver medal for excellence in design. After graduating, he continued his studies at MIT under Alvar Aalto, receiving his graduate degree in 1948.
Prior to his graduate studies at MIT, Lovett worked for Naramore, Brady, Bain & Johanson, (NBBJ) 1946-48. Once graduated, he returned to Seattle and took a position as Designer/Associate with Seattle architects Bassetti & Morse (1948-51), where he designed the Hilltop planned community on Lake Washington. Bassetti and Morse, with Lovett as the Associate Architect, received the AIA National Grand Honor Award for the design of the Gamma Rho Apartments in Seattle (1953). During this time, he also accepted a part-time teaching position at the University of Washington (1948-51).
Lovett became Assistant Professor of Architecture at the University of Washington (1951-60). He received a Fulbright to teach and serve as a guest critic at the Technical Institute in Stuttgart, Germany (1959-60). He returned as an Associate Professor of Architecture (1960-65), eventually rising to Professor of Architecture at the University of Washington (1965-1984). He was named Professor Emeritus in 1984.
Throughout his career, Lovett continued his own architectural practice which he began in 1951. Lovett also designed the nuclear Reactor Building at the University of Washington, (1961), operating as The Architects and Artist Group [TAAG], with Daniel Streissguth, Gene Zema, Gerard Torrence, and Spencer Mosely. His design of significant Northwest homes includes the Gerald and Jo Frey House in Bellevue (1972); his own residences and summer house on Crane Island; the Charles Simonyi house in Medina (1987-89); and the Curler-Girder House in Medina (1993).