Corinthian capital, 1938.
Design drawing: gouache/watercolor with ink on paper.
Digital Collection item #ARC0878; URL: http://content.lib.washington.edu/u?/ac,1842
Norman Johnston (1918-) was enrolled in the College of Architecture in 1937-38 and received his B.A. from the University of Washington in 1942. He served in the Signal Intelligence Corps in Alaska during World War II before receiving his B.Arch from the University of Oregon (1949); his M.U.P. from the University of Pennsylvania (1959); and his Ph.D. in Environmental History from the University of Pennsylvania (1964).
Early in his career, Johnston apprenticed with Joseph H. Wohleb, Olympia (1945-50); then as planner for the City of Seattle Planning Commission (1950-54); and as an architect with Nelson, Sabin & Varey, Seattle (1954-56). He became an assistant professor in the department of Architecture, University of Oregon (1956-58).
Dr. Johnston returned to Seattle as Associate Professor at the Department of Architecture, University of Washington, 1960-64; rising to Professor in the Departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urban Design and Planning, 1964-85. Johnston served on campus planning committees for Olympia's Capitol Campus, the University of Washington, and Washington State University; President of the AIA Seattle Chapter in 1981; and on the Washington State Board for Registration of Architects. After retiring in 1985, he continued teaching as an Emeritus professor. Published works include Cities in the Round (1983); Washington's Audacious State Capitol and Its Builders, (1988); and The Fountain & the Mountain: The University of Washington Campus in Seattle, (2004).