Dream, Design, Build: The UW Architecture Student Drawing Collection, 1914-1947
The End of the Analytique
Episcopal Church Sanctuary, 1958
Design/analytique: gouache/watercolor with
graphite on paper.
The end of World War II in 1945 saw a rapid increase of enrollment in the architecture program. Students who had left the program to serve in the war returned to finish their degrees, and a new generation of students arrived. All had been affected by the war, and came to the program with very different ideas and expectations that challenged the way the field was taught.
There was, however still a respect for the merits of the Beaux-Arts approach. Keith Kolb, who had studied under Pries and graduated from the UW in 1947, returned to the University of Washington as an instructor in the 1950s. Although the Beaux Arts curriculum had been largely abandoned, Kolb maintained that the analytique taught necessary compositional and presentation skills. The analytique returned to the University of Washington curriculum as a junior-level assignment from 1953-1961. Shown here is one of the later examples.