When the World Came to Campus, 1909

George Washington Statue

The statue of George Washington that greets visitors at the entrance to today's Central Plaza is another legacy of the AYP. The Rainier chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution commissioned the statue from Chicago-based sculptor Lorado Taft and spent four years raising the necessary funds. They encouraged school children from all over the state to contribute their pennies, no more than five cents apiece. Through these and other contributions, the DAR succeeded in raising $6,000. The State of Washington contributed another $8,000, and the statue was dedicated during the Exposition on Flag Day, June 14, just inside the main entrance to the fairgrounds near where it stands today.

previous page
next page


Follow Us:

Follow our Blog Twitter Flickr Support Digital Initiatives. Make a Gift.