Ordering and Use
Search results for
Refine your search
Search all Collections
page 4 of 5 : (
add to favorites
Women in yard looking at a wading pool. This is the T. Rixon house located in Sappho, WA.
Anterior of head end of Teredo navalis, showing cell, centrally located foot
Oyster spat, one month old, on the shells of the experimental spat collectors located in Wellfleet Bay, 1908. Various shells, such as oyster, scallop, razor clam, clam, quahaut, silver or jingle shells can be used for spat collection
Diagram of the method used in experimental hatching of quahaug eggs and rearing of the young larvae at the Wellfleet laboratory. It represents a cross-section of the laboratory, showing a small 1 1/2 horse power gasoline engine (B), connected by a belt with a pump (C), by which salt water is forced from below into a tank (A) situated near the roof. The laboratory is located on a wharf over the water, which enables salt water to be obtained directly from beneath the floor. The inlet of the pump is guarded by a strainer (H), which prevents seaweed entering the pipe. From the tank the salt water is conducted through the laboratory by a large pipe set with small petcocks. From these petcocks pieces of rubber tubing (F) lead to the hatching tubs (E), which consist of half barrels fitted with sand filters (D). The tubs are placed over a sink (G) which carries off the filtered water. By this arrangement a continuous flow of water is established through the hatching tanks.
Salmon hatchery at Baird, Cal., the pioneer salmon hatchery on the Pacific coast, located on the McCloud River, a swift stream formed by the melting snow on Mount Shasta. The station can accommodate 25 million eggs at one time, and in 1907-8 produced about 5 million chinook or quinnat salmon and 10 million eyed eggs. Operations of this hatchery and its auxiliaries at Battle Creek and Mill Creek (73 1/2 million eggs of the chinook salmon were taken in 1907-8) havew been the prime factor in maintaining the salmon run in the Sacramento River
Marine Biological Laboratory at Beaufort, N. C. This station, built in 1901, is favorably located for the study of the aquatic fauna of the southeast coast. The laboratory building is 174 feet long and 42 feet wide in the main portion, has a large museum and aquaria, and accommodates about 30 workers. Adjoining the laboratory building are a power plant and a mess house and kitchen
Cape Prince of Wales
That extreme narrowing of the American shore of Bering Straits; the Asiatic coast is only thirty-six miles to the Westward from this Point, which was located and named by Captain Cook, August 7, 1778
Salmon hatchery at Baird, Cal., the pioneer salmon hatchery on the Pacific coast, located on the McCloud River, a swift stream formed by the melting snow on Mount Shasta. The station can accommodate 25 million eggs at one time, and in 1907-8 produced abou
Oldest Salmon Cannery.
The accompanying illustration shows the oldest salmon cannery in the world which is located on the Columbia River at Eagle Cliff, Wash., about forty miles above Astoria. This cannery was built in the spring of 1866 by William Hume, who assisted in starting the first salmon cannery built on the Sacramento River two years previous to the building of the Eagle Cliff cannery. Finding the run on the Sacramento River was failing Mr. Hume moved to the Columbia River locating at Eagle Cliff. The original building is still standing.
This cannery packed 4,000 cases during the first year it was operated and the following year 18,000 cases were packed without difficulty. This pack was increased to 28,000 cases in the next year.
The first salmon canning was done in 1864 on the Sacramento River by G. W. Hume, William Hume, who built the Eagle Cliff cannery and Andrew S. Hapgood, who originally received his cannery experience in the state of Maine where he canned lobsters.
Laurelhurst Center located between N.E. 41st and N.E. 45th Street, Seattle, August 6, 1934
Hotel Northern, located in the Terry-Denny Building, 109-115 1st Ave. S., between Yesler Way and Washington St., Seattle, ca. 1905
Office of the Chicago, Milwaukee and Puget Sound Ry., located at 2nd Ave. and Cherry St., in the Butler Building, Seattle.
Ornamental urn located along the Cascades, Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition, Seattle, 1909.
Ornamental urn located along Geyser Basin, Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition, Seattle, 1909.
Redwood log exhibit, probably located outside of the California Building, United States Government Building, Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition, Seattle, 1909.
Urn located by Geyser Basin and Manufactures Building, Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition, Seattle, 1909.
Exterior of Power House #1, located behind the Foundry Building, Alaska-Yukon-Pacific-Exposition, Seattle, c. 1908
Garden at Salmon River Roadhouse, located on Salmon River near its junction with Pitka Fork, Alaska, September 1914
Rock garden sculptures in Rasmus Petersen's Rock Garden, located near Redmond, Oregon, ca. 1940-1950
Rasmus Petersen's Rock Garden and pond, located near Redmond, Oregon, ca. 1940-1950
add to favorites
page 4 of 5 : (
Change display settings
Make a Gift
^ to top ^
University of Washington Libraries
Subscribe to Updates