|Title||Detail of diamond drill used in early Skagit exploration work, June 29, 1919 |
|Notes||Photographs of the Skagit River Hydroelectric Project constructed between 1918-1961.|
The name of Ruby Dam was changed to Ross Dam in 1939 after the death of J.D. Ross, Seattle City Light Superintendent from 1911-1939, best known for securing and constructing the Skagit River Project.
The diamond core drill, a type of rotary rock drill, was invented by Rodolphe Leschot, a French engineer, in 1863 and patented in the United States the same year. Often used for tunneling and mining work, it consists of an engine that rotates a tube with a diamond cutting edge. [Sources: Oil History by Samuel T. Pees, http://www.oilhistory.com/pages/Diamond/inventor.html and Mining in Manitoba, http://www.digistar.mb.ca/minsci/finding/diamond.htm]
Caption on image: Detail of Diamond Drill. 6-29-19, 5036.
PH Coll 45.235
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Ross Dam |
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Excavations--Washington (State) |
|Subjects (LCSH)||Rock drill--Washington (State); Drilling and boring machinery--Washington (State) |
|Digital Collection||Seattle Power and Water Supply Collection|
|Order Number||WWDL0685 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division |
|Repository Collection||Seattle City Light Albums. PH Coll 45|
|Object Type||Photograph |
|Physical Description||silver gelatin, b&w |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 115 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2005 |