|Title||Site of future Gorge Dam, near Devil's Elbow, July 1, 1919 |
|Notes||Photographs of the Skagit River Hydroelectric Project constructed between 1918-1961. |
The Gorge Dam and Powerhouse were built by Seattle City Light and completed in September of 1924.
Devil's Elbow (also known as Devil's Corner) was a path that early miners along the Skagit River carved by hand from The Portage to gold fields on Ruby Creek. The path was chiseled out of granite to form a path along the steep walls of the gorge above what we now call Newhalem. The Portage was the point near Newhalem that was the absolute last point where a sternwheeler (in high-water years) or a canoe could navigate on the Skagit river. From there, everything had to be carried on the backs of miners or mules.
Caption on image: Proposed Gorge Dam site, 7-1-19, 5008.
PH Coll 1124.8
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Skagit River |
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Rivers--Washington (State) |
|Subjects (LCSH)||Skagit River (B.C. and Wash.); Devil's Elbow (Wash.); Building sites--Washington (State) |
|Digital Collection||Seattle Power and Water Supply Collection|
|Order Number||WWDL0666 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division |
|Repository Collection||Photographs of Seattle City Light Projects Collection, PH Coll 1124.|
|Object Type||Photograph |
|Physical Description||silver gelatin, b&w |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 115 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2005 |