|Title||Eskimo cliff dwellings, King Island, ca. 1899 |
|Photographer||Warner, Arthur Churchill, 1864-1943 |
|Date||ca. 1899 |
|Notes||King Island was historically occupied by Eskimos who called themselves "Aseuluk." The Island was named by Captain Cook in 1778 for Lt. James King, a member of his party. In 1900, the Eskimo name was reported to be "Ukiwuk." The village was occupied during the winter by approximately 200 Eskimos, who achieved fame as hunters and ivory carvers, and who lived in walrus-skin dwellings lashed to the face of the cliff. The Islanders subsisted on walrus, seal, birds, berries and green plants. Every summer the entire population would travel to the mainland by kayak and umiak, and remained for a few months. Once Nome was founded, they customarily camped near town each summer to sell their intricate ivory carvings.|
Filed in Alaska series.
|Subjects (LCSH)||Cliff-dwellings--Alaska--Ukivok; Eskimos--Dwellings--Alaska--Ukivok |
|Location Depicted||United States--Alaska--King Island (Ukivok) |
|Digital Collection||Arthur Churchill Warner Photographs|
|Order Number||WAR0547 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||Arthur Churchill Warner Photograph Collection. PH Coll 273 |
|Object Type||Photograph |
|Physical Description||b&w |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 100 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2004. |