|Title||Carbon River and coal mines, near Carbonado, looking south, July 26, 1893 |
|Photographer||Waite, Alvin H. (Alvin Henry), 1862-1929 |
|Notes||Notes in inventory: Carbonado, Carbon River and coal mines looking south.|
Carbonado was once a busy coal-mining town on the Carbon River, five and a half miles south of Buckley in north central Pierce County. It was once one of the highest coal producers in the state. Meany reports that the town was named for the Carbon River which flows at the bottom of the nearby canyon and that the river was named for the coal which was found in the area. The post office was estblished May 7, 1880 as Carbondale.
PH Coll 291.061
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Coal mining--Washington (State)|
|Subjects (LCSH)||Carbon River (Wash.)|
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Pierce County |
|Digital Collection||Alvin H. Waite Photographs|
|Order Number||WAT019 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||Alvin H. Waite Photograph Collection. PH Coll 291|
|Object Type||Photograph |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 150 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2003. |