|Title||Bicycle beside wagon road from Sumner to Buckley, April 21, 1896 |
|Photographer||Waite, Alvin H. (Alvin Henry), 1862-1929 |
|Notes||Notes in inventory: Buckley, Wash., 4 3/4 mile west. Wagon road, Sumner to Buckley. Section of corduroy road. |
Buckley is two and a half miles south of Enumclaw on the White River in north central Pierce County. It began as an sawmill and logging center. Early names were Perkin's Landing and Perkins' Prairie. When the Northern Pacific Railway built through there, officials chose the name White River Siding. When a townsite was platted in 1888 by Alexander Wickersham, he named the town for J.M. Buckley, division superintendent of Northern Pacific and a coal mine promoter. Mr. Buckley also lent part of his last name to the community of Bucoda and there is a Buckley Hill and Gulch in Tacoma.
Sumner is a community in the Puyallup Valley seven and a half miles east of Tacoma in north central Pierce County. In 1876, the town was named by the Hon. L. F. Thompson, for Sen. Charles Sumner, when the first post office was established. Other versions of the name origin exist. The Indian name was Sta-hu.
PH Coll 291.205
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Bicycles--Washington (State)|
Corduroy roads--Washington (State)
|Subjects (LCSH)||Pierce County (Wash.)|
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Pierce County |
|Digital Collection||Alvin H. Waite Photographs|
|Order Number||WAT082 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||Alvin H. Waite Photograph Collection. PH Coll 291|
|Object Type||Photograph |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 150 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2003. |