|Title||Remains of Fort Bellingham, April 29, 1894 |
|Photographer||Waite, Alvin H. (Alvin Henry), 1862-1929 |
|Notes||Notes in inventory: New Whatcom, Wash., 3 miles west. Remains of Fort Bellingham. At head of Bellingham Bay looking southwest.|
This fort, built in 1856 and abandoned in 1860, was on a bluff overlooking Bellingham Bay, 3-1/2 miles west of the mouth of Whatcom Creek in southwest Whatcom County. It was named for Bellingham Bay and was once commanded by George Pickett who as a Confederate General led the famous Pickett's charge at the Battle of Gettysburg.
New Whatcom was an early town on Bellingham Bay formed by the merger of Whatcom and Sehome in 1891, assisted by the coming of a large number of settlers from Kansas. This town later combined with Fairhaven to form the city of Bellingham. Whatcom is an Indian word meaning "noisy rumbling water, " referring to Whatcom Falls.
PH Coll 291.143
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Forts & fortifications--Washington (State)|
|Subjects (LCSH)||Fort Bellingham (Wash.)|
Bellingham Bay (Wash.)
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Whatcom County |
|Digital Collection||Alvin H. Waite Photographs|
|Order Number||WAT032 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||Alvin H. Waite Photograph Collection. PH Coll 291|
|Object Type||Photograph |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 150 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2003. |