|Title||Denny Bell, University of Washington, ca. 1930 |
|Date||ca. 1930 |
|Notes||The bell hanging in Denny Hall's belfry was bought during the Civil War for $368 and came to Seattle from Troy, New York, via Cape Horn. It was hung in the original university building downtown, where it chimed for classes, was used as a fire alarm, punctuated special events, and rang to guide boats through fog. It was moved by wagon to the current campus in 1895. ("No Finer Site, " UW Libraries web exhibit.)|
The Chimes Tower visible in the background burned down in 1949.
Handwritten on verso: Denny Bell. First rang Mar 19 1862. This is one of the few pictures ever taken of the bell in its present location. The tower of the Blethen chimes faintly shows to the left of the clapper. It was brought around Cape Horn in a sailing ship, now hangs in belfry of Denny Hall.
Filed in: UW - Denny Bell (#321).
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Universities & colleges--Washington (State)--Seattle|
|Subjects (LCSH)||Denny Bell|
University of Washington
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||University of Washington Campus Photographs|
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Negative Number||UW6283 |
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||University of Washington Campus Photograph Collection |
|Object Type||Photograph: b&w; 6 5/8 x 6 5/8 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color or 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 or 600 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Image File Name||SC000175.tif |