|Title||Chimes Tower, University of Washington, ca. 1915 |
|Date||ca. 1915 |
|Notes||This structure was built in 1904 as a water tower and became a chimes tower in 1914. The twelve bells were donated by Col. A.J. Blethen, the publisher of the Seattle Times. Students who disliked Blethen's sometimes unscrupulous business practices protested the acceptance of the gift, but were overruled by the regents. The tower burned down in 1949. ("University of Washington: A Pictorial History, " UW Libraries web exhibit.)|
Caption on image: The Chimes, University of the State of Washington, Seattle U.S.A.
Postmarked October 19 1915, from Seattle; cancellation mark advertises "World's Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco 1915, " one-cent stamp.
Filed in: UW - Buildings - Chimes Tower.
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Universities & colleges--Washington (State)--Seattle|
|Subjects (LCSH)||Chimes Tower (Seattle, Wash.)|
Bell towers--Washington (State)--Seattle
University of Washington--Buildings
College buildings--Washington (State)--Seattle
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||University of Washington Campus Photographs|
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.lib.washington.edu/specialcollections/services/reproduction-info |
Please cite the Order Number when ordering.
|Negative Number||UW21946z |
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||University of Washington Postcard Collection. PH Coll 799 |
|Object Type||Postcard: color; 5 3/8 x 3 3/8 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color or 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 or 600 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Image File Name||SC004014.tif |