Built by Todd Shipyards Corp. for the Norwegian shipping firm of B. Stolt-Nielsen, she was the first merchant steamship ever built there for foreign owners. Keel was laid in May of 1916, work on the vessel began in June, and she was launched in September of the same year. (pg. 266) Notes from Gordon Newell, ed., The H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest (Seattle: Superior Publishing Co, 1966).