Seldovia is on the Kenai Peninsula across from Homer on the south shore of Kachemak Bay. Native residents are mixed Dena'ina Indian and Sugpiaq Eskimo (also known as Alutiiq). The name Seldovia is derived from "Seldevoy" a Russian word meaning "herring bay." Between 1869 and 1882, a trading post was located here. A post office was established in 1898. The village developed around commercial fishing and fish processing.