Charles P. Dose was a German immigrant and real estate businessman. In 1871 Dose and his partners, the Fricke Brothers, bought 40 acres of land on Lake Washington in Seattle. In 1898 Dose and his son, Charles C. Dose began development on the land and in 1906 they platted the Dose Addition on 10 acres along South Walker Street. This area would later become part of the Mount Baker District, where the first house was built at 31st Avenue and Walker Street. The Mount Baker Park area was one of Seattle's earliest planned residential communities and made an attempt to integrate the landscape into its design. The Dose family lived in the Mount Baker district and Mrs. Charles C. Dose was instrumental in the creation of the Mount Baker Park Improvement Club.