Joseph Buchtel and Byron P. Cardwell operated a photographic studio between 1859-1864 in Portland, Oregon. Cardwell sold his part of the studio to his brother J.R. Cardwell in 1864, and he remained a partner until the business was sold in 1865 to F. Dalton. Byron P. Cardwell died in 1903. Joseph Buchtel went on to operate A.B. Woodard's gallery in 1865-1866, open the Pioneer Gallery in 1867, and by 1873 had formed a partnership with E.H. Stolte.