Grennan & Cranney's Saw Mills, Utsalady, Camano Island, Puget Sound, W. T., 1862
|Title||Grennan & Cranney's Saw Mills, Utsalady, Camano Island, Puget Sound, W. T., 1862 |
|Detailed view (zoom)||http://content.lib.washington.edu/mapsweb/images/Viewer/G4284_U85_A3_1862_G5.html |
|Cartographer||Gifford, C. B. (Charles B.)|
|Engraver||Gifford, C. B. (Charles B.), lithographer|
|Century Published||19th century|
|Publication Date||1862 |
|Publisher||Nagel, L. (Louis)|
|Place of Publication||United States--California--San Francisco |
|Printer||Nagel, L. (Louis) |
North oriented to left.
Printed in center of bottom:
"Grennan & Cranney's Saw Mills, Utsalady, Camano Island, Puget Sound, W. T., 1862. Lat. 48 [degrees] 15' North. Long. 122 [degrees] 25' West."
Printed in the bottom edge in lower left:
"C. B. Gifford lith."
Printed in the bottom edge on left:
"The harbor is one of the best in the world. It is completely sheltered from all winds. 400 feet of Wharf frontage, with a depth of 22 feet at low water. Bottom very soft-no Rocks."
Printed in bottom edge on lower right:
"We have an unfailing supply of large Masts, Spars, Ship plank, and sawn lumber of all dimensions, such as we are now furnishing to the French and Spanish Governments."
Printed in bottom edge in lower right:
"Printed by L. Nagel, S. F."
Shows Grennan & Cranney's sawmill operations including additional buildings, wharf, sailing vessels, steamer hauling log raft, boat construction in the foregound on the beach, Native American canoe offshore and the Utsalady Hotel at lower right.
Not drawn to scale.
|Contextual Notes||Charles B. Gifford was an itinerant cartographer who drew "birds-eye" perspective maps for various cities around the country. Louis Nagel was frequently the printer of his work.|
The first settlers appeared on Camano Island in 1855, making claims on the island's vast timber. In 1858, Thomas Cranney and Lawrence Grennan, pioneers of Whidbey Island, built a large sawmill at Utsalady, at the northern end of the island. The same area was the site of a shipyard. After Grennan died in 1869, Cranney continued to operate the mill. In 1876, he sold it to Pope and Talbot's Puget Mill Company. In the Panic of 1893, the company moved its machinery to its other mills. The island had virtually no towns in the latter part of the nineteenth century (McClary, "Island County-Thumbnail History.")
McClary, Daryl. "Island County - Thumbnail History." 14 Nov. 2005. Historylink.org. Accessed 19 Nov. 2008.
|Category||Bird's eye view|
|Location Depicted||United States--Washington (State)--Utsalady|
United States, Northwest
|Subjects (LCSH)||Utsalady (Wash.)-Aerial views-Maps; Utsalady (Wash.)-Pictorial works |
|Digital Collection||World and Regional Maps, 16th to the 19th centuries|
|Digital ID Number||MAP126 |
|Ordering Information||For information about digital reproductions, please email email@example.com. Please cite the Digital ID number. |
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division.|
|Repository Collection||Rare Map Collection. G4284 U85 A3 1862 G5 |
|Physical Description||31 x 61 cm. |
|Condition||Brown stains throughout. Worn along centerfold. Tears along all edges. Large piece torn from left edge. Acquisition information written in pencil in upper left. On verso, stamp in brown ink: "Puget Lumber Co." Stains on verso. Call number written in pencil on verso in lower left. Written in pencil on verso in lower right: "neg in file UW 11557." |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original map at 600 dpi in TIFF format, resized and enhanced at 400 ppi using Adobe Photoshop, and imported as JPEG2000 using ContentDM's software JPEG2000 Extension. 2008. |
|Acquisition||Written in pencil: "P Overage." |