|Title||Victoria, B.C., 1889 |
|Detailed view (zoom)||http://content.lib.washington.edu/mapsweb/images/Viewer/G3514_V5_A3_1889_E5.html |
|Century Published||19th century|
|Publication Date||1889 |
|Publisher||Ellis & Co.|
|Place of Publication||Canada--British Columbia--Victoria |
North oriented to upper left.
Printed at bottom:
"Victoria, B.C. 1889
Printed beneath map in bottom right:
"Issued by Ellis & Co., Publishers of 'The Colonist, ' Victoria, B.C."
Printed beneath map in bottom left:
"Entered according to Act of Parliament of Canada in the year 1889, by Ellis & Co., in the Office of the Minister of Agriculture at Ottowa."
Tinted lithographic bird's-eye view of Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Includes Victoria Harbor and James Bay. Printed in bottom border is a numbered legend listing a key to various buildings and other areas throughout the city including churches, banks, hospitals, schools, government offices and wharves. Labels the Straits of San Juan de Fuca and Mount Baker in the distance. Of note, Beacon Hill is shown as is Rock Bay and the James Bay Bridge. Also shows major streets including Esquimalt, Alston, St. Lawrence, Montreal, Superior, Michigan, Oswego, Toronto, Niagara, Beech, Scoresby, Collinson, Government, Pandora, Quadra, and Broughton. Sailboats, steamers and steamboats are shown in the waterways. Major buildings depicted include the Victoria Opera House, the Provincial Government Building, The Dunsmuir Residence, Odd Fellow's Hall, Bank British Columbia and City Hall.
Not drawn to scale.
|Contextual Notes||This map was published in 1889 by Ellis and Company, publishers of "The Colonist."|
In 1854, Victoria's population numbered about 200. The city largely revolved around its status as a fort established by the Hudson's Bay Company (Gregson, 6). Four years later, Victoria's population was about 500. The same year, the Fraser River Gold Rush began and the town was filled with gold-miners. The gold rush led to increased land value, greater settlement and a rush of development (Gregson, 12). During the late 1850s, the first Parliament buildings were constructed, as was the James Bay Bridge, visible on this map. By 1860, the population was about 608 with 25000 temporary residents due to the gold rush. In 1862, Victoria was legally independent of the Hudson's Bay Company. During this period, the town had only a small number of buildings composed of brick though it contained several hotels and other structures including the Australia Hotel, the John Bull Hotel, the Victoria Hotel, the Brown Jug Saloon, the Hotel de France, the Star and Garter, the St. Nicholas Hotel, and the Island hotel (Gregson, 14-16). In 1866, Vancouver Island and British Columbia were united. Five years later in 1871, British Columbia joined Canada and the population of Victoria numbered 7900. At this time, homes started past the Douglas-Johnson-Courtenay-Wharf to Pembroke Street (Gregson, 47-49). The 1870s, however, was a period of economic decline in Victoria. In 1873, the nation was hit by a financial panic. The trans-Canadian railroad's construction was postponed and its terminus was not to be Victoria (Gregson, 59). By 1880, the population was less than 6000 (Gregson, 49). The 1880s were a period of renewed growth in the city. In 1889, for instance, a Portland newspaper described Victoria as "a city pre-eminently to delight the heart of the tourist with more than a dozen good hotels…" (Gregson, 72).
Gregson, Harry. "A History of Victoria, 1842-1970 with Illustrations and Maps." Victoria, B.C.: Victoria Observer Publishing Co. Ltd., 1970.
|Category||Bird's eye view|
|Location Depicted||Canada--British Columbia--Victoria|
|Subjects (LCSH)||Victoria (B.C.)-Aerial views-Maps; Victoria (B.C.)-Pictorial works |
|Digital Collection||World and Regional Maps, 16th to the 19th centuries|
|Digital ID Number||MAP121 |
|Ordering Information||For information about digital reproductions, please email email@example.com. Please cite the Digital ID number. |
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division.|
|Repository Collection||Rare Map Collection. G3514 V5 A3 1889 E5 |
|Physical Description||57 x 100 cm. |
|Condition||Large tear in lower right corner. Small tears along bottom, right, left and top edges. Tape repair on tear on bottom edge. Original call number written in pencil in upper right corner. Old call number in ink on label on verso in lower left corner. Call number written in pencil on verso in lower right corner. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original map at 600 dpi in TIFF format, resized and enhanced at 400 ppi using Adobe Photoshop, and imported as JPEG2000 using ContentDM's software JPEG2000 Extension. 2008. |
|Acquisition||Acquisition information written in pencil on right edge: 8JAU54 - Forsythe - 20012 - Northwest $2.50. |