|Title||Patients and nurse at Firland Sanatorium, Seattle, 1950 |
|Caption||Firland Sanatorium, Seattle's municipal tuberculosis hospital, was built in 1911 to treat patients infected with TB, the leading cause of death in Seattle at the time. Originally called the Henry Sanatorium after leading founder Horace C. Henry, Firland was located 12 miles north of Seattle on a 34-acre campus with open-air cottages for its patients. In 1943 King County assumed responsibility for Firland, and in 1947, with demand for beds exceeding Firland's capacity, patients from Firland and the former King County tuberculosis sanatoria, Morningside and Meadows, were moved to a former Naval Hospital at 150th Street and 15th Avenue NE. While this facility was able to accommodate more patients, life in its crowded, impersonal barracks was quite different from the original Firland's restful, secluded wooded campus. By the 1950s antibiotic therapy greatly reduced the severity of the disease. In 1973 Firland was closed and TB patients were moved to mainstream hospitals.|
In this photo, two men at the "new" Firland rest in their beds while a nurse opens a window between them.
|Notes||Handwritten on negative: Two-bed cubicle, Firland.|
Handwritten on sleeve: SEATTLE, Hospitals, Firland, two-bed cubicle.
Caption information source: www.historylink.org, essay number 3928
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (date of photograph and file date may differ by a month or more): September 14, 1950.
|Subjects||Firland Sanatorium--Seattle (Wash.); Hospital beds--Washington (State)--Seattle; Nurses--Washington (State)--Seattle; Patients--Washington (State)--Seattle; Sanatoriums--Washington (State)--Seattle; Tuberculosis--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States—Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1986.5.9377 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Photograph Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI). |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Photograph Collection |
|Physical Description||1 acetate negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from film positive using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit grayscale, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 5. |