|Title||Frederick & Nelson department store exterior, ca. 1918 |
|Photographer||Webster & Stevens |
|Caption||The first Frederick & Nelson retail store opened in 1889, right after Seattle's great fire. By 1916, the company was doing so well that it built a large new store at Fifth Avenue and Pike Street, which many people thought was too far out of town. Frederick & Nelson was one of Seattle's landmark companies for over a century. It closed in the 1990s.|
This photo shows Seattle's Frederick & Nelson department store building shortly after it opened. A policeman directs Seattle's increasing car traffic at the corner of Fifth and Pike.
|Subjects||Department stores; Frederick & Nelson |
|Places||Seattle (Wash.) |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1983.10.1257 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI).; Scanned by MOHAI staff. |
|Repository Collection||PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection |
|Physical Description||1 negative : nitrate, b&w ; 8 x 10 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original negative using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit grayscale, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 4.
|Photographer's Reference Number||W&S 66, 359 |