|Title||King County Courthouse, Seattle, ca. 1908 |
|Photographer||Webster & Stevens |
|Date||ca. 1908 |
|Caption||King County's courts moved into a new courthouse in 1890. It was built at at Seventh Avenue and Jefferson Street, far above downtown Seattle. The hill soon became known as Profanity Hill for all the swearing done by people who had to make the steep climb. The courts moved downhill again in 1917, this time to a new building on Third Avenue. The old courthouse was torn down in the 1930s.|
This postcard shows the King County Courthouse on Profanity Hill. Its tall dome could be seen for miles, and it appears in many old photographs of Seattle.
|Notes||Caption on image: King County Court House, Seattle. W&S.|
Postmarked April 11, 1908, from Seattle; one-cent stamp.
Handwritten on verso: !!!!!!!!!! [sic].
Addressed to Fad[?] in Rumney[?] Depot, N.H.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Courthouses--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
First Hill (Seattle, Wash.)
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||2002.48.620 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Postcard Collection |
|Physical Description||1 postcard: color; 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original postcard as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Photographer's Reference Number||23 |