|Title||Ballard Bridge, Seattle, July 3, 1938 |
|Caption||In 1917, the opening of the first Ballard Bridge over the Lake Washington Ship Canal connected Ballard's business district to downtown Seattle by way of Fifteenth Avenue West and Elliott Avenue. Wooden trestles supported the two-lane roadway, streetcar tracks and sidewalk for most of the bridge's length. After twenty years of increased vehicular traffic and urban growth, the bridge was no longer safe. In 1940, after over a year of construction, a new concrete and steel bridge without streetcar tracks opened at the same location.|
In this 1938 photo, the 1917 Ballard Bridge runs from south (l.) to north (r.) across the center of the image.
|Notes||Caption on image: 7-3-38.|
Typed on verso: Ballard Bridge, July 3, 1938.
|Subjects||Bridges--Washington (State)--Seattle; Trestles--Washington (State)--Seattle; Canals--Washington (State)--Seattle; Ballard Bridge (Seattle, Wash.); Lake Washington Ship Canal (Seattle, Wash.) |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||SHS8968 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Historical Society Collection |
|Physical Description||1 photographic print mounted on cardboard: b&w; 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original print as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Photographer's Reference Number||15403 |