|Title||Yesler cable cars, Seattle, n.d. |
|Caption||Seattle's Yesler Street cable car line was the first in the Pacific Northwest and only the seventh in the world. It carried passengers and freight along the 2.25 mile track between the downtown area and Leschi Park in sixteen minutes. The Yesler Street line opened in September 1888 and ran until August 1940. By that time, there were over 100, 000 automobiles in Seattle, and few people rode the cable cars.|
This photo shows two early cars on the Yesler line.
|Notes||Signs in image: Lake Washington. Second, Mill & Jackson Sts. Seattle Construction Co.|
Handwritten on verso: 1st Cable Car on Yesler line Opened Sept. 29, 1888. Used turntable at each end of line. Replaced with newer, double-end cars from Calif. Frank McClellan 4-84.
Typed on verso: An early Yesler Cable car, or cars of 50 years ago. This line passed out of existence, summer of 1940. One of the cars similar to open type now on exhibit at Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Cable railroads--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||SHS723 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Historical Society Collection |
|Physical Description||1 photographic print mounted on cardboard: b&w; 6 x 10 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original print as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Photographer's Reference Number||33586 |