|Title||Seattle Cedar Lumber Manufacturing Company interior showing men working, Seattle, 1959 |
|Caption||The Seattle Cedar mill, located just west of the north end of the Ballard Bridge, opened in 1890. This and other Ballard mills turned out millions of shingles and board feet of lumber until the shrinking supply of cedar logs brought about the end of the industry. The mill was rebuilt after a huge fire in 1958, but closed for good in 1973.|
In this photo, workmen operate some of the machinery in the rebuilt Seattle Cedar mill.
|Notes||Handwritten on sleeve: SEATTLE, SEATTLE CEDAR LUMBER CO.|
Caption by MOHAI staff.
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (date of photograph and file date may differ by a month or more): July 1959.
|Subjects||Mills--Washington (State)--Seattle; Lumber industry--Washington (State)--Seattle; Laborers--Washington (State)--Seattle; Machinery--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
Ballard (Seattle, Wash.)
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1986.5.11721.3 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection |
|Physical Description||1 acetate negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |