|Title||King County Hospital, Georgetown, ca. 1902 |
|Photographer||Webster & Stevens |
|Date||ca. 1902 |
|Caption||In the 1880s, Dr. C.H. Merrick led the effort to turn the King County Poor Farm into King County Hospital. Until then, the county had contracted with the Sisters of Providence to take care of the county's poor people at the farm. The new hospital building, located on the Duwamish River south of Seattle, was designed by Willis A. Ritchie and built in 1893-1894.|
This photo shows the King County Hospital building in about 1902. The facilities had become inadequate by the late 1920s. The county closed down these old facilities in the 1930s and opened its new Harborview Hospital in Seattle.
|Notes||Caption on image: King County Hospital.|
Handwritten on sleeve: King County Hospital.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Hospitals--Washington (State)--Seattle; Fences--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
Georgetown (Seattle, Wash.)
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1983.10.6577 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection |
|Physical Description||1 glass negative: b&w; 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from print made from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Photographer's Reference Number||91 |