The G.C. Hanford Manufacturing Company was established in 1846 by George C. Hanford and sold diverse products that ranged from flavoring extracts and baking powder to Celery Cure and Balsam of Myrrh. The recipe for Balsam of Myrrh was given to Hanford's parents by a doctor who often stayed at their farm. G.C. Hanford Manufacturing Company was renamed Hanford Pharmaceutical and is now a major antibiotics producer for several international pharmaceutical corporations.