In 1848, millright John Fenton built a saw-mill on a site owned by the Hudson Bay Company. The site would come to be known as Six Mile. The first lumber sawn was used in a barn at the North Dairy Farm. It was also from here that the first export of lumber went to California. It consisted of 8,000 feet and the price was $80. per 1000 feet. The following year Fenton was lured to California by the tales of gold. Bill Parsons (Parson as he was called) replaced Fenton and he built a bridge over Millstream which in the 1863 gold rush provided access to the Sooke and Leech River areas.