Wallace, Idaho was founded in 1884 by Colonel W.R. Wallace under the name Placer Center. In 1885 the name changed to Wallace. In 1886 Wallace received its first railroad followed by a Northern Pacific Line in 1891. By 1900 the town of Wallace was a major center for mining activities. In 1910 much of the town was destroyed by the largest U.S. forest fire in history.