|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. |
Student sketch problem completed circa 1934-1937. Watercolor pattern of geometric shapes and figures in brown and black, possibly derived from pre-Columbian forms.
Paul Hayden Kirk received his B.Arch from the University of Washington in 1937. Following graduation, he worked as a Draftsman/Designer for Dudley Smart, Architect, Seattle, 1939; then as a Designer for Henry Bittman, Architect, Seattle, 1940-1941. During World War II, Kirk became Partner in Stuart, Kirk, and Durham, Seattle, 1943-1944, with Bertram Stuart and Robert Durham. He left the partnership once the War ended and established a well-regarded, partnership with James Chiarelli from c.1944-1950. The partnership, Chiarelli & Kirk, was especially known for creating modernist structures in the Pacific Northwest Regional style that include the Crown Hill Medical-Dental Clinic in Seattle, 1947; Lakewood Community Church, 1949; and Samuel Crockett House on Mercer Island, 1950.
He formed his own independent architectural practice, Paul Hayden Kirk, AIA, Seattle, 1950-1957, and worked primarily on residences in Seattle. Notable projects include the Lewis Dowell House in Seattle, 1954; and the George Tavernities House in Seattle, 1952. He also became well-known for many of his medical buildings that included the Lake City Clinic, 1952; the Group Health Cooperative Northgate Clinic, 1958; and the McNair-Price Clinic in Medford, Oregon, 1957-58. He received national attention for many of his residential works, including the Frank Gilbert House in the Highlands, 1957; the Bowman House in Kirkland, 1956; and the Evans House on Mercer Island, 1956. He received an AIA Seattle award for his design of the University Unitarian Church, 1959.
Kirk established Paul Hayden Kirk and Associates in 1957 as his reputation and business grew. In 1960, he promoted associates Donald S. Wallace and David A. McKinley to partner, becoming Kirk, Wallace, McKinley and Associates, Seattle, until his retirement in 1979 when the firm was passed on to David McKinley. Notable works from this period include the Blair Kirk residence on Mercer Island, 1968-1969; the Magnolia Branch Library, 1962-1964; Resident Theater [now Intiman Theater] at Seattle Center, 1959-1962; the Edmond Meany Hall at the University of Washington, 1974; and the Japanese Presbyterian Church, 1963, with classmate Smith S. Nakata. Kirk was elected to the AIA College of Fellows in 1959.