|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. |
Sophomore year design drawing. Assignment title per architecture professor Jeffrey Ochsner: "Lighthouse at Cape Mendocino." Design drawing for a lighthouse includes a rendering of the flat-roofed lighthouse with semi-circular observation level in its setting atop a rocky bluff; multiple plans showing the working and living areas with children's play terrace and fog horn room; and section drawing showing the lamp, circular stairwell, and terraced levels of the lighthouse.
Roland Terry received his B.Arch from the University of Washington 1940. Following graduation, he was awarded the Langley Scholarship from the AIA and traveled to South America to study the region's early Modern buildings. He joined the military after returning to the United States, 1942-1946, where he designed and constructed an Officers Club in New Mexico for the US Air Corps. He returned to Seattle in 1946 and formed Tucker, Shields, and Terry, 1946-1951 with classmates Bert Tucker and Robert Shields. Notable works include the Burnett House on Hunts Point, 1950; Canlis Charcoal Broiler in Seattle, 1951; and the Paul Smith residence remodel in Seattle, 1950.
Terry formed a partnership with Philip A. Moore in 1952, and became Terry & Moore, Architects, Seattle, 1952-1960. They designed a number of residences and commercial projects throughout Seattle which were widely published. Notable projects include the Crabapple Restaurant in Bellevue, 1954; the Alex Patterson House on Whidbey Island, 1958; the Hauberg town house in Seattle, 1954; and the Jarvis House in Seattle, 1957.
When the firm dissolved in 1960, Terry opened his own architectural practice as Roland Terry & Associates, 1960-1974, and continued his work with residences and commercial interiors. Notable projects include the Washington Park Towers in Seattle, 1967; the Kahala Hilton interior in Honolulu, 1963; and Nordstrom Best, 1970.
As the firm's focus shifted from residential projects to commercial interiors, he promoted associate Robert Egan to Partner in 1974 and the firm became Terry & Egan, until Terry's retirement in 1987. Notable projects from this period include the Bank of California Building interior in Seattle, c.1972; and the Halekulani Hotel interior, c.1980. Terry was elected to the AIA College of Fellows in 1980, and received the AIA Seattle Chapter Medal in 1991.