|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. |
Freshman year design drawing. Detail drawing of a Corinthian capital.
Norman Johnston was enrolled in the Department of Architecture in 1937-1938 and received his B.A. from the University of Washington in 1942. Following graduation, he served in the Signal Intelligence Corps in Alaska during World War II before receiving his B.Arch from the University of Oregon, Eugene, in 1949; his M.U.P. [Urban Planning] from the University of Pennsylvania in 1959; and his Ph.D. in Environmental History from the University of Pennsylvania in 1964. Early in his career, Johnston apprenticed with Joseph H. Wohleb, Olympia, 1945-1950; then as a planner for the City of Seattle Planning Commission, 1950-1954; and as an architect with Nelson, Sabin & Varey, Seattle, 1954-1956. He became an Assistant Professor in the Department of Architecture, University of Oregon, 1956-1958. Dr. Johnston returned to Seattle as Associate Professor at the Department of Architecture, University of Washington, 1960-1964; rising to Professor in the Departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urban Design and Planning, 1964-1985. He also served as the Associate Dean at the College of Architecture and Urban Planning, 1966-1985; and as Chair of the Department of Architecture, 1984-1985. After he retired from the University in 1985, he continued teaching as an Emeritus Professor in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urban Design and Planning. Johnston served on campus planning committees for Olympia's Capitol Campus, the University of Washington, and Washington State University; President of the AIA Seattle Chapter in 1981; and on the Washington State Board of Registration for Architects. He was elected to the AIA College of Fellows in 1982, and received the AIA Seattle Medal in 1990 for his contributions in shaping architectural practice and study. He was awarded the Jennie Sue Brown Award for distinguished service from the AIA Washington Council in 1997. Published works include Cities in the Round, 1983, and Washington's Audacious State Capitol and Its Builders, 1988.