|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning.|
Senior sketch problem. Watercolor rendering of a stone chimney and shingled roof with a view of water in background.
Wendell Harper Lovett received his B.Arch from the University of Washington in 1947. As a student, he was awarded the AIA Student Silver Medal for excellence in design. After graduating, he continued his studies at the Massachussetts Institute of Technology, receiving his graduate degree in 1948. Prior to his graduate studies at MIT, he worked for Naramore, Brady, Bain & Johanson, 1946-1948. Once graduated, he returned to Seattle and took a position as Designer/Associate with Seattle architects Bassetti & Morse, 1948-1951, where he designed the Hilltop planned community on Lake Washington. Bassetti & Morse, with Lovett as the Associate Architect, received the AIA National Grand Honor Award for the design of the Gamma Rho Apartments in Seattle, 1953. During this time, he also accepted a part-time teaching position at the University of Washington, 1948-1951. Lovett became Assistant Professor of Architecture at the University of Washington, 1951-c.1960. He received a Fulbright to teach and serve as a guest critic at the Technical Institute in Stuttgart, Germany, during the 1959-1960 academic year. He returned as an Associate Professor of Architecture, 1960-1965, eventually rising to Professor of Architecture at the University of Washington, 1965-1984. He was named Professor Emeritus in 1984. Throughout his career, Lovett continued his work as an architect in his own architecture practice as Wendell H. Lovett, Architect, which he began in 1951. Notable works include the Gerald and Jo Frey house in Bellevue, 1972; his own residences and summer house on Crane Island; the Charles Simonyi house in Medina, 1989; and the Cutler-Girder House in Medina, 1993. Lovett also designed the Nuclear Reactor Building at the University of Washington, c.1961, operating as The Architects and Artist Group [TAAG], with Daniel Streissguth, Gene Zema, Gerard Torrence, and Spencer Moseley.