|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. |
Sophomore year Class B II projet, ca. December 15, 1925. Design/analytique watercolor rendering and elevation of a Romanesque style building with an offset entrance tower, terracotta roof, and ornately decorated arches around the doors and windows. The smaller building in front is attached to a rear larger building.
Thiry received his B.Arch from the University of Washington in 1928. He also studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Fontainebleau, France for three months, ca. 1927. When he returned to Seattle, he worked for Butler Sturtevant, John Graham, and Henry Bittman, before opening his own practice in 1929. During the Depression, Thiry took a yearlong trip to Europe, Japan, India, China, Egypt, and Central America, where he was introduced to the work of the European Modernists, 1934-1935.
Following his return, he partnered with fellow alumni Alban Shay designing modern residences as Thiry & Shay, 1936-1942. Notable projects include Thiry's own residence, 1936; the Nichols House, 1939; and the Frank Barrett House, 1937. Thiry later partnered with several Seattle architects, first as Jones, Thiry & Ahlson, 1942; then as Jones, Bouillon, Thiry & Sylliaasen, 1943-1944. Notable projects include the collaboration on the Holly Park Housing Complex, 1943; the Museum of History and Industry, 1950; the Frye Art Museum, 1952; and the Church of Christ the King in Greenwood, 1952.
Thiry was significantly involved in the Seattle Planning Commission from 1952 until his resignation in 1961. Notable projects from this period include the Washington State Library in Olympia, 1959; the Allison Wanamaker House in Seattle, 1957; and the Christ Episcopal Church in Tacoma, 1962. Circa 1957, Thiry was appointed the principal architect and Head of Design Committee of the Century 21 Seattle World's Fair. Following his work on the Century 21 Seattle World's Fair, Kennedy appointed him to the National Capitol Planning Commission in 1963. Jacqueline Kennedy appointed him to the Kennedy Library Commission in 1964.
Thiry received numerous awards throughout his life, becoming an AIA Fellow in 1951; Chancellor of the College of Fellows, 1962-1964; and receiving a national AIA citation for work in community design, 1965. He also received the "Man of Year" award from the Seattle Chamber of Commerce and the Seattle City Council in 1962 for his work on the Century 21 Seattle World's Fair. He is credited for introducing the architecture of the European Modernism movement to the Pacific Northwest.