|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. |
Junior year Class B III projet. Stamped with the Society of Beaux Arts seal indicating the design was judged in the national competition and awarded a "Mention."
Drawing includes three interior elevations of the dining room, seating plan, and ceiling plan with decorative tiles.
Elizabeth Ayer studied at the Department of Architecture from 1916 until 1921 when she received her B.Arch as the first woman graduate of the program. Following graduation, she worked for Seattle architect Andrew Willatsen, before being hired by Ivey & Riley, Architects. Ivey & Riley dissolved that year, however, and Ayer continued to work for Edwin Ivey, who became her mentor and major architectural influence. She took two leaves of absence to work in New York City with Cross & Cross, 1922; and to study European architecture abroad in 1927. After returning to the US, she continued work with the firm of Edwin Ivey, Architect, designing upscale homes in Seattle. After Edwin Ivey's sudden death in 1940, Ayer continued working under his firm's name with colleague Rolland Lamping. During World War II, both Ayer and Lamping served as architects for the U.S. Engineers Office and after the War let out, the two established the partnership of Ayer & Lamping, Architects, where they focused primarily on residential design until Ayer's retirement in 1970. Notable projects include the Davis House on Mercer Island, 1950; the Douds House, 1951; the Linden House on Bainbridge Island, 1962; and the Forland House in Seattle, 1963. In 1980, Elizabeth Ayer was honored by the Seattle Chapter of the AIA for her dedicated service as a pioneering female architect.