|Title||John S. Villesik student drawing of sketch of Bagley Hall |
|Architects||Villesvik, John S., 1905-1993 |
|Date of Drawing Execution||ca. 1926-1927 |
|Object Type||Architectural drawings |
|Physical Description||Graphite on paper ; 10 in x 14 in |
|Descriptive Notes||Handwritten in lower left corner:|
|Building Notes||Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. |
Freehand sketch of the facade of the classically-designed Bagley Hall on the University of Washington campus. The building was originally built as the Fine Arts Palace for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909, however, it served as the Chemistry building at the time the drawing was completed; the building later housed the architecture school and was renamed Architecture Hall in 1957 when the College of Architecture and Urban Planning was established.
John Storm Villesvik received his B.Arch from the University of Washington in 1929. As a student, he was a member of the Tau Sigma Delta Architectural Fraternity and received several awards including the Charles Bebb Prize, 1925, and the Gladding McBean Prize. He received the Walker Traveling Scholarship in Fall of 1928 to study at the Fontainebleau School of Fine Arts in Europe.
Villesvik worked for Yakima architect John Maloney, 1930-c.1943. As Maloney's practice became increasingly focused on projects in Seattle, Villesvik opened his own architectural practice in Yakima in 1945. Maurice Smith joined the firm in 1946, eventually becoming partner in 1962. The firm's work included residential and commercial designs, civic structures, and religious buildings. Notable projects include the Main Yakima Library, 1959; the Yakima County Courthouse addition, 1962; the Yakima Valley Museum, 1958; the Dr. Herr residence, 1947; the Harold Cahoon residence, 1950; and several elementary schools. Villesvik retired in 1972.
|Subjects (LCSH)||Bagley Hall (Seattle, Wash.); College buildings--Washington (State)--Seattle; University of Washington--Buildings |
|Digital Collection||Architecture Collection|
|Digital ID Number||ARC0871 |
|Ordering Information||Restrictions apply to the ordering of this image. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. |
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||University of Washington Department of Architecture Student Drawings. Ph Coll 740 |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Photographed with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi in RGB Color. Saved in RAW format and converted to a 350dpi TIFF using Adobe Camera RAW software. Resized and enhanced using Adobe Photoshop and imported as JPEG2000 using ContentDM's software JPEG2000 Extension. 2011 |