Part of a collection containing approximately 1100 student drawings from the University of Washington Department of Architecture from its inception in 1914 until 1961 when the Department of Architecture had completely phased out all elements of the Beaux Arts system and became the College of Architecture and Urban Planning.
Sophomore year student work of a monochromatic rendering of a stone pillar fountain in the art deco style with decorative relief along central panel and statues of monkeys and fish circling the fountain's base. The rendering is surrounded by detail drawings of fish statues, columns, and relief. A partial plan and section is penciled in lower corners. This is a Class B III analytique. Stamped with the Society of Beaux Arts seal indicating that the design was judged at the national competition and awarded a "Mention."
Henry Olschewsky received his B.Arch from the University of Washington in 1931, where he was the University of Washington recipient of the Alpha Rho Chi medal. He worked as a professor in the University of Washington Department of Architecture from 1932 until his death in 1945.
Photographed with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi in RGB Color. Saved in RAW format and converted to a 350dpi TIFF using Adobe Camera RAW software. Resized and enhanced using Adobe Photoshop and imported as JPEG2000 using ContentDM's software JPEG2000 Extension. 2011