|Title||White Building (Seattle, Wash.), interior details for the ground floor entrance and corridor |
|Architectural Firm Name||Howells and Stokes |
|Architects||Howells, John Mead, 1868-1959|
Stokes, I. N. Phelps (Isaac Newton Phelps), 1867-1944
|Client||Metropolitan Building Company (Seattle, Wash.) |
|Date of Drawing Execution||1908 |
|Object Type||Architectural Drawings |
|Physical Description||Ink and graphite on drafting cloth: 50 x 82 cm. |
|Building Street Address||1338 4th Ave. |
|Building Location||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Descriptive Notes||Handwritten above drawings:|
1/4 inch Scale Details of Entrance Corridor Ground Floor
White Building Seattle Wash. for the Metropolitan Building Company
Howells & Stokes Architects
100 William St. New York
Handwritten beneath drawings:
Section on Line 'D-D'
Section on Line 'E-E'
Section on Line 'C-C'
Continuation of Section Line 'C-C'
Elevation of Part of Side Opposite Elevators
Section on Line 'F-F'
Building No. 77
Drawn: A.G.B. Jan. 16-'08 Checked: Jamme Jan. 29-'08
Revised: Drawn: Elevator + Pit Jamme Feb. 19-08 Checked: Jamme Feb. 20-08; Drawn: Sump Pit Jamme April 29-08 Checked: Apr. 28-08
|Building Notes||In 1907 the Metropolitan Building Company took over the lease of the old University of Washington campus in downtown Seattle, known initially as the University Tract and later became the Metropolitan Tract. That company engaged the New York architectural firm of Howells & Stokes and began construction of their first building, the "White building", which was named for Chester White, President of Company, which was completed in January 1909. Three other buildings soon followed, all along Fourth Avenue and all named for shareholders in the Company. Architect A.H. Albertson oversaw this and the Howells and Stokes firm's other works on the West Coast, eventually forming his own separate partnership with Howells around 1917. This new firm completed most of the remaining Metropolitan Tract buildings, all of which, with the exception of the Cobb building, are now destroyed. The drawings illustrate many of the features the original Metropolitan Tract designs had in common: terra cotta ornamentation at the top and street levels, brick in-between; decorative elements combining Beaux-Arts and commercial styles, such as symmetry, a clearly marked storefront and ornate classical detailing. The Henry, White and Stuart buildings shared one block now known as the Rainier Plaza. Their coordinated facades created the appearance of a single structure, often referred to as the White Henry Stuart Building. They are no longer extant. |
|Subjects (LCTGM)||Sections; Architectural elements; Interior design drawings |
|Subjects (LCSH)||White Building (Seattle, Wash.); Office buildings--Washington (State)--Seattle--Designs and plans; Doorways--Washington (State)--Seattle--Designs and plans; Corridors--Washington (State)--Seattle--Designs and plans |
|Digital Collection||Architecture Collection|
|Digital ID Number||ARC0786 |
|Ordering Information||Restrictions apply to the ordering of this image. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. |
|Repository||University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections Division. |
|Repository Collection||Metropolitan Building Company Collection |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original drawing in RGB at 200-400 dpi, saved in TIFF format, changed to indexed color, enhanced and resized using Adobe Photoshop, and imported as JPEG2000 using Contentdm software's JPEG2000 Extension. 2006. |