|Title||St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox church during construction, Seattle, 1937 |
|Caption||St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church is located at 1714 13th Avenue East in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. It features the onion domes common to Russian church architecture. One of the oldest Russian Orthodox parishes in the U.S., it was founded in 1932 by Russian immigrants. The church building shown here was consecrated in December 1937 and dedicated to the 4th century Greek saint, Nikolaos of Myra.|
Here a crowd watches the cross being raised to the top of the building.
|Notes||Handwritten on sleeve: SEATTLE, CHURCHES, St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox.|
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (date of photograph and file date may differ by a month or more): June 17, 1937.
|Subjects||Building construction--Washington (State)--Seattle; Crosses--Washington (State)--Seattle; Cupolas--Washington (State)--Seattle; Onion domes--Washington (State)--Seattle; Orthodox Churches--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||Capitol Hill (Seattle, Wash.)|
United States—Washington (State)--Seattle
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1986.5.8213.1 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Photograph Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI). |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Photograph Collection |
|Physical Description||1 nitrate negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from film negative using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit grayscale, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 5. |