|Title||Boat landing at Ellisport, Washington, ca. 1915 |
|Date||ca. 1915 |
|Caption||Ellisport, on the eastern shore of Vashon Island, Washington was originally named Elliston. Around 1888, members of the Puget Sound Chautauqua Assembly changed the name to Chautauqua and began holding their annual summer classes and lectures there. People traveled to Ellisport and other island towns in Puget Sound on the small steamers known as the mosquito fleet.|
This photographic postcard, postmarked August 1915, shows the landing at Ellisport on Vashon Island.
|Notes||Written on verso: Message: G.L. opened today. Fraternal regards to Sister Espy and yourself from "Old Chatauqua." Keep up good courage and you'll be yourself again before long.|
Original photographic print (postcard): Therkelsen, ca. 1915. Copied in 1998 by the Museum of History and Industry.
|Subjects||Piers & wharves; Ships |
|Places||Ellisport (Wash.); Elliston (Wash.); Chautauqua (Wash.); Vashon Island (Wash.) |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1998.10.9 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact email@example.com or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Postcard Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Postcard Collection |
|Physical Description||1 negative: safety film, b&w; 2.25 x 2.75 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from copy negative using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit grayscale, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 5. |