|Title||Columbia School students with sign promoting school bonds, Seattle, 1948 |
|Caption||The real-estate developers of Columbia City reserved land for a school one block west of Rainier Avenue. The wood frame school with a large bell tower opened in 1892 and served students of all grades. When Columbia City was annexed by neighboring Seattle in 1907, the city suddenly had two Columbia Schools. The name of the younger one, on Capitol Hill, was changed to Lowell. The Columbia City school kept its original name.|
In this 1948 photo, two Columbia School students hold a sign promoting the upcoming school bond vote.
|Notes||Handwritten on negative: James Bostwick, Joy Phillips.|
Handwritten on sleeve: Seattle - schools - Columbia with James Bostwick, Joy Phillips.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (date of photograph and file date may differ by a month or more): October 27, 1948.
|Subjects||School children--Washington (State)--Seattle; Schools--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Personal Names||Bostwick, James|
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
Columbia City (Seattle, Wash.)
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||PI25461 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact email@example.com or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection |
|Physical Description||1 acetate negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from print made from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 600 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |