|Title||W.A. Scott inside James Street cable car powerhouse, Seattle, 1940 |
|Caption||Seattle's James Street cable car line opened in 1890. The fare was five cents, or $1.00 per month for students. After consolidation into the Union Trunk Line, it carried passengers and freight up the very steep slope of First Hill and on to Broadway and Madrona Park. During the regrading of James Street and Third Avenue, around 1912, the cable car tracks ran on a temporary trestle. |
|Notes||Handwritten on negative: W.A. Scott - James St. power house.|
Handwritten on sleeve: Seattle - street railways - powerhouse (James Street).
Caption by MOHAI staff.
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (date of photograph and file date may differ by a month or more): February 23, 1940.
|Subjects||Cable railroads--Washington (State)--Seattle; Railroad employees--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Personal Names||Scott, W.A. |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||PI27137 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection |
|Physical Description||1 safety film negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from print made from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 600 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |