|Title||Troops at Fort Lawton, Seattle, ca. 1909 |
|Date||ca. 1909 |
|Caption||In the 1890s, the U.S. Army built a group of forts to protect the entrance to Puget Sound. One of these, Fort Lawton, was begun in 1898 in what is now Seattle's Discovery Park. By 1910, a group of wooden buildings had been built around the fort's parade ground. Few companies were stationed there until World War II, when the fort became a center for troops leaving for duty in the Pacific.|
In this postcard from around 1909, troops stand at attention on the Fort Lawton parade ground in Seattle.
|Notes||Caption on image: Dress Parade, Fort Lawton, Seattle, Washington.|
Handwritten on verso: May 9 09 - Teddy from Mrs. J. Dofflemyer.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Military personnel--Washington (State)--Seattle; Military facilities--Washington (State)--Seattle; Fort Lawton (Seattle, Wash.) |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
Magnolia (Seattle, Wash.)
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||2002.48.836 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Postcard Collection |
|Physical Description||1 postcard: color; 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original postcard as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Photographer's Reference Number||1751 |