|Title||Seattle Public Library, Seattle, March 6, 1956 |
|Caption||The city of Seattle established a public library in 1890 after several earlier attempts by private citizens. The library was housed in various places and finally ended up in the Yesler Mansion, just uphill from its current site. After the mansion burned in 1901, industrialist Andrew Carnegie donated $200, 000 for a new building which opened in 1906. The Carnegie Library served the city until 1956. |
|Notes||Handwritten on image: Public Library 3-6-56.|
Handwritten on sleeve: SEATTLE PUBLIC LIBRARY, Main branch, exterior of old building.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer: March 6, 1956.
|Subjects||Public libraries--Washington (State)--Seattle; Business districts--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1986.5.11234.1 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact email@example.com or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection |
|Physical Description||1 acetate negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |