|Title||Seattle Cedar Lumber Manufacturing Company viewed from across Salmon Bay looking west, Seattle, 1959 |
|Caption||The Seattle Cedar mill, located just west of the north end of the Ballard Bridge, opened in 1890. This and other Ballard mills turned out millions of shingles and board feet of lumber until the shrinking supply of cedar logs brought about the end of the industry. The mill was rebuilt after a huge fire in 1958, but closed for good in 1973.|
This view of the rebuilt Seattle Cedar mill appears to have been taken from the Ballard Bridge.
|Notes||Signs in image read: The Maltese Brand.|
Handwritten on sleeve: SEATTLE, SEATTLE CEDAR LUMBER CO.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
Date photograph was filed at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (date of photograph and file date may differ by a month or more): July 1959.
|Subjects||Mills--Washington (State)--Seattle; Lumber industry--Washington (State)--Seattle); Bays (Bodies of water) |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle|
Ballard (Seattle, Wash.)
Salmon Bay (Wash. : Bay)
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1986.5.11721.1 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection |
|Physical Description||1 acetate negative: b&w; 4 x 5 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |