|Title||Providence Hospital, Seattle, 1911 |
|Photographer||Webster & Stevens |
|Caption||Three Sisters of Providence arrived in Seattle from Vancouver, Washington in May 1877 to manage the King County Poor Farm on the Duwamish River. In May 1878, the sisters purchased and remodeled a house at Fifth Avenue and Madison, and established the first Providence Hospital. The group built a second, larger hospital in several phases, beginning in 1882.|
This photo, taken around 1904, shows Providence Hospital's second building, on Fifth Avenue between Madison and Spring Streets. This site, just uphill from the Public Library, is now occupied by the United States District Court. The old wooden hospital building was demolished in 1914, after Providence Hospital moved to its current location at 17th Avenue and Jefferson Street. The large building in the right background is Seattle's Central School.
|Notes||Caption on image: W&S.|
Handwritten on mount: Providence Hospital, 5th & Madison.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Hospitals--Washington (State)--Seattle; Schools--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Seattle |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||2002.3.438 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact email@example.com or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Lantern Slide Collection |
|Physical Description||1 lantern slide: color; 2 1/2 x 3 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original lantern slide as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |
|Photographer's Reference Number||2027 |