|Title||The Ranch roadhouse, ca. 1937 |
|Photographer||Webster & Stevens |
|Date||ca. 1937 |
|Caption||In the late 1930s, Washington restaurants could serve beer and wine but no mixed drinks by the glass unless patrons supplied their own bottles of liquor. Liquor laws tended to be less strict outside city limits. This stimulated the growth of country bottle clubs and roadhouses which catered to those willing to drive out of town for a drink. In 1948, state law changed to permit the sale of liquor by the drink.|
This photo, taken around 1937, shows The Ranch, a restaurant and nightclub on the Pacific Highway (U.S. 99). The Ranch was located near the corner of Highway 99 and 220th Street, about eight miles north of Seattle's city limits. Guests could sip a legal drink while they dined and danced to live music.
|Notes||Sign in image: The Ranch - Dine & Dance.|
Handwritten on sleeve: The Ranch Ext.
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Nightclubs--Washington (State)--Edmonds; Water towers--Washington (State)--Edmonds |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Edmonds |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||1983.10.4584.1 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact email@example.com or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection |
|Physical Description||1 safety film negative: b&w; 8 x 10 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from print made from original negative as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |