|Title||Firland Sanitarium, Richmond Highlands, n.d. |
|Caption||In 1911, Firland Sanatorium began accepting patients suffering from highly infectious tuberculosis (TB). The hospital's country setting in Richmond Highlands, well north of Seattle, isolated patients from the healthy populace and provided the fresh air which doctors considered essential. In 1948, Firland housed nearly 1, 050 patients. It closed in 1968 after new antibiotic treatments allowed patients to live at home.|
This photograph shows Firland Sanatorium, the tuberculosis hospital. In 1998, some of the old Firland buildings could still be seen on the King's Schools campus in North Seattle.
|Notes||Typed on sleeve: Firland Sanitarium.|
Caption by MOHAI staff.
|Subjects||Sanatoriums--Washington (State)--Shoreline |
|Places||United States--Washington (State)--Shoreline |
|Digital Collection||Museum of History & Industry Photograph Collection |
|Image Number||SHS17247 |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction or to inquire about permissions contact email@example.com or phone us at 206-324-1126. Please refer to the Image Number and provide a brief description of the photograph. |
|Credit Line||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle; All Rights Reserved |
|Repository||Museum of History & Industry, Seattle (MOHAI) |
|Repository Collection||Seattle Historical Society Collection |
|Physical Description||1 photographic print: b&w; 7 x 10 in. |
|Digital Reproduction Information||Scanned from original print as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3. |